Regional Building Surveyor – Derbyshire, parts of Staffordshire, Cheshire & some sites in greater Manchester
Assignment ID VV852
The Company:Our client is one of the UK’s largest independent family brewers operating both tenanted and managed pubs and continues to invest in its estate.
Its managed estate includes a collection of landmark pubs, restaurants and hotels. In addition, it is engaged in brewing, bottling and wholesaling of beers, wines and spirits.
The Position:We are seeking to appoint a Building Surveyor who will cover Derbyshire, parts of Staffordshire, Cheshire & some sites in Greater Manchester.
Reporting to the Director of Property – the Building Surveyor will primarily be responsible for ensuring that our client’s estate remains fit for purpose – helping maintain and develop a regional portfolio of approximately 70 tenanted and managed pubs. He/She will also provide specialist advice in relation to all aspects of Property/Building Maintenance, Construction, Development and Design, as well as taking a lead on small planned refurbishments and capital works.
Other key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Resolve reactive maintenance escalations from the Property Helpdesk.
- Inspect sites to determine maintenance, repair, dilapidation or refurbishment requirements and provide reports.
- Prepare scheme designs and detailed specifications, with costings, programme completion details and material use.
- Maintain an awareness of statutory legislation and good practice relevant to the role.
- Liaise with Tenants and Business Development Managers regarding maintenance and repair obligations, dilapidation, refurbishment and compliance issues and to hold regular meetings with the relevant BDM(s) to co-ordinate and prioritise repairs.
- Manage a monthly repair budget.
- Provide support for out of hours’ emergencies at evenings and weekends.
- In conjunction with the wider Property Team, input and develop estate-wide maintenance and compliance initiatives.
- Analyse and report on compliance and stock condition and other data.
- Maintain our client’s ‘File Manager’ portal.
- To ensure that all tasks are carried out in a safe working manner in accordance with Company Health and Safety Policy and safe working practices.
- To carry out any such duties as may reasonably be requested by The Company.
- To bring to the attention of the Head of Property any matter which prevents or hinders the execution of these duties.
- To inform a Director of The Company of any issue considered as being of a significant nature which has a bearing on the performance in his/her job.
The Person Specification:
Key Skills and Experience Required:
- Ideally RICS qualified, with a demonstrable track record in a Surveyor role, with a thorough knowledge of property management issues
- A robust knowledge of a relevant industry sector would be advantageous, and knowledge of a retail-related environment is essential
- In-depth knowledge of maintenance and compliance, with the ability to forecast issues in the medium and long term future
- Detailed knowledge of current Buildings Regulations and all relevant legislation, including Health and Safety and the Landlord and Tenant Act
- Relationship-focussed, with the ability to work in a multiple-stakeholder environment, and engage with others in a professional manner; including developing and managing relationships with tenants, internal teams and sub-contractors
- Skills in cost control and budget management, with the ability to produce timely and accurate data
- High energy levels and self-motivated, with the desire to be pro-active and contribute new ideas, respond positively to change, and drive new initiatives
- Ability to take a professional approach to workload, including high level written and verbal communication skills, and the gravitas required to deal with challenging situations or sensitive information
- Proficient in MS Excel and Word, ideally with previous experience of using database systems.
The Location:Field based with one or two days at the head office
The Salary & Supporting Benefits:Very attractive base salary, mileage allowance for businesstravel, good pension scheme, life assurance cover, privatemedical, discounts etc.
The above are principal elements in an attractive and comprehensive package reflecting our client’s determination to appoint a first class candidate.
It is our policy to practice equal opportunities in recruitment and selection for all candidates.
We have a responsibility to avoid unlawful discrimination.