Assignment ID VV836
The Company:Our client is an award winning family owned hospitality and brewing business operating a freehold estate of tenanted pubs, hotels and inns and a small brewery. It employs c1600 team members.
The ethos and purpose of the business is to make people feel at ease through real hospitality delivered in a socially responsible way by friendly faces in outstanding properties in great locations.
In addition to a well invested and cash generative estate of tenanted pubs which are run by individual tenants, but which are supported through the Company’s central infrastructure they have also focussed on adding to their hotels and inns as managed operations, as well as completing an intensive programme of investment to improve and premiumise the offering in its existing properties.
The Company is continually looking to grow the estate through the acquisition of well positioned and high quality sustainable properties.
The Position:Reporting to the Executive Chairman, the new Property Director will primarily be responsible for the development of the current estate and managing the varied needs of the portfolio valued at more than £300m across pubs, hotels, inns and a small unlicensed estate. Additionally, the business has a strong appetite to grow through a programme of new acquisitions.
This is a rare opportunity for someone to join the senior management and leadership team and bring in a new perspective – an exciting proposition for someone looking to take ownership of the function and put their own mark on how it is approached and executed within the wider business.
Other key duties and responsibilities will include:-
- Managing all aspects of the current estate and being part of the tenanted pub rent panel
- Overseeing and managing the physical quality of the properties, including advising on and managing development schemes and the physical health and safety aspects associated with the property fabric.
- Identifying, negotiating and acquiring new opportunities throughout the UK and taking these proposed sites through the acquisition, legal, planning and post exchange completion phases.
- The Property Director must be part of the decision making process to ensure that the quality of new sites enhances profitability, business performance and drives growth of the company.
- Evaluating and presenting financial and physical site assessments to the Board for approval.
- Management and compliance with the technicalities of property law and legislation, including the Voluntary Pubs Code.
- Management of the capital expenditure programme – including development and maintenance of the estate, identifying development opportunities and taking project management responsibility for larger projects.
- Managing the company’s internal design function and team.
- Identifying other non-pub/hospitality development opportunities within the company’s portfolio to generate value.
- Finding a suitable development partner for an old Brewery site.
- Creating and nurturing a network of contacts with Agents, Developers, Landlords and others within the industry to acquire and deliver new sites, including the management of legal’s etc.
- Managing, motivating and inspiring the c9 strong property and estates team including their personal development and reinforcing the company’s principles and culture.
- Work closely with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Advise on relevant trends and developments in the pub/hotels/leisure sector including reviewing competitor activity etc.
- Undertake any other tasks, responsibilities or assignments upon requests from the Executive Chairman.
The Candidate Profile:Candidates are most likely to be qualified Chartered Surveyors who have a successful track record within the Pubs/Hotels and Leisure Sector.
The other key attributes sought are:-
- Experience and knowledge of how the tenanted pub market works and ideally experience of the hotels business.
- Detailed understanding of the commercial property market.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage and inspire small teams.
- Understanding of what is needed to deliver a performance culture in a family business.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to deliver projects on time, quality and budget.
- Have outstanding organisational skills, with strong attention to detail and able to manage many work streams at the same time across different disciplines.
- Must be a strong team player who is also able to roll up their sleeves and get involved.
- Have the ability to deal with and manage multi-locational teams.
- Ability to demonstrate strong strategic and problem solving skills, create and build practical solutions that deliver outstanding operational performance through the maximisation of property.
- Will be an able communicator, who is emotionally intelligent and able to build relationships both internally and externally.
- Should be energetic and self motivated.
- Must have strong commercial focus and good presentational skills.
The Location:The Property Director is likely to spend at least two days a week at the Head Office. He/she will also travel extensively throughout the UK as required.
The Salary & Supporting Benefits:Attractive base salary, good bonus scheme, LTIP Plan (after 3 years service), Car Allowance, Pension, Private Health, 4 x Life Assurance, 25 days holiday etc.
The above are principal elements in an attractive and comprehensive package reflecting our clients determination to appoint a First Class Candidate.
It is our Policy to practice equal opportunities in recruitment and selection for all candidates. We have a responsibility to avoid unlawful discrimination.