Manager - Construction & Facilities
Assignment ID VV843
The Company:Our client is a well renowned respected and leading operator in its market sector.
They have exciting plans to continue growth of both its equity and licensing network in the UK.
Sites will open in:-
- Drive Thru locations
- Retail, Leisure and Business Parks
- High Street and Shopping Centres
- Train Stations and Airports
- Hospitals and Universities
The Position:This job is a critical role which contributes to our clients success by achieving and providing leadership, planning, development, implementation and financial oversight for both construction projects and facilities management for all UK regions. Developing and maintaining the highest standards of excellence. Leading construction & facilities teams in shaping the processes to ensure all projects are completed effectively, efficiently, within budget and in line with key initiatives including LEED where applicable. This role covers all equity markets for the UK region, ensuring business is aligned for the delivery of new stores, renovations, relocations and other business programmes and initiatives, as well as the development and implementation of a comprehensive FM strategy for retail stores and corporate office facilities. You will own the relationship with the outsourced service providers, enhancing the service provision and support and promote sustainable initiatives to reduce energy and environmental impact.
Key Job Dimensions & Scope of Role:
- Act as ambassador on the future direction and strategy for the department driving and leading innovation.
- Ownership of circa 300+ UK equity stores with a growing portfolio and UK offices
- Support the leadership of internal change and development
- Managing external contractors / suppliers
- London office-based role, with extensive UK travel required
- Flexibility in working hours will be required according to business needs
- Accountable for delivery and strategic development of construction and facilities across the UK business
- Accountability for budgets
- Understands the investment impact on the store P&L and informed and considered decisions made
- Develop and control annual AOP across UK equity stores for construction and facilities
- Lead and challenge the performance of the construction & facilities team
- Deputise for the store development and construction – senior manager as required
- Develop a team with deep understanding of construction and facilities management technical knowledge
- Be key contact for the store development team providing construction & FM expertise and leading on behalf of construction & facilities in portfolio reviews, planning and development
- Ensure the provision of healthy and safe working conditions and to ensure company’s health and safety policy and process is effectively implemented
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the shaping and delivery of the development programme for the Equity markets across UK creating and driving a ‘one team’ UK approach, maximising and optimising processes to support accordingly.
- Develop strategic projects/programmes in accordance with the agreed programme requirements and the key performance indicators.
- Liaise with all internal/external stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle with the ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels and areas of the business and leading regular business reviews.
- Lead construction and support the operational goals by participating and contributing in planning and strategy meetings for the markets. Lead and outline the construction processes and practices to ensure that programmes are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Drive Innovation to reduce building and operating costs and improving overall efficiency. Track and report key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness
- Set clear vision and direction, promoting responsible development and inspiring others to do the same.
- Manage and coach teams of individuals to maximise their ability to support the objectives of the construction function.
- For the Equity UK programme, ensure that it is supported by the appropriate organisational and governance structures, controls and has the correct resources in place to deliver the on-going pipeline of work maintaining business relevance and balancing evolving business needs with the clarity required to deliver individual projects.
- Lead through teamwork, openness and trust with all key stakeholders, suppliers and consultants, building partnerships to collectively deliver excellent results. Collaborate with key persons to gain commitment, clarify expectations, set and monitor clear objectives.
- Manage and monitor effective project costs within budget guidelines. Ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget and to a high standard.
- Provide direction and update the KDR and STR as needed, using effective change controls. Communicate project status to all key stakeholders accurately and on time.
- Contribute to the Store development and Construction team to deliver the construction phase of the development process for all Equity stores. Ensure the store development and construction team:
- Liaise with the Store development team to take possession from landlords/developers, ensuring that we have compliance with the agreed heads of terms and company guidelines.
- Responsible for General Contractor’s and supplier performance during the construction phase.
- Maintain established construction schedules to allow stores to open on time.
- Oversees ordering and tracking of materials and equipment.
- Visits projects regularly to perform due diligence and monitor quality.
- Addresses concerns and maintains consistent follow-up on any outstanding issues.
- Team has deep financial and construction technical knowledge.
- Ensure the construction team manages the permitting and approval phase of the development process and ensure all correct approvals have been received prior to initiating possession or construction phase.
- Leads the process of contract negotiations and review of existing contracts, ensuring the company’s contract policies are followed. Foresee alterations in the comparative negotiating ability of suppliers and clients.
- Maintains and monitors active General Contractor (GC) pool for adequate number, quality of workmanship and service level.
- Oversee and maintain relationships with external professionals and consultants. Oversee contractor and vendor performance during construction phase through site visits.
- Provides coaching, direction, leadership and support to all team members, vendors and suppliers in order to achieve partnership/business and to achieve customer results.
- Ensures that all projects are delivered in compliance with current Building Regulations, CDM requirements. Including further areas such as Asbestos, Structural Requirements and DDA.
- Supports the LEED project team by tracking and submitting all construction-allocated LEED documents to the LEED AP within the timeline provided. Manages the General Contractors in relation to their tasks to ensure they are carried out correctly and in a timely manner.
- Supports internal partners to deliver both new and renovation projects ensuring that the brand principles are upheld and maintained.
- Initiate and drive ad hoc projects and assist in the future development of the construction team. This can include process change, cost saving initiatives, training requirement and brand development etc.
- Assist as construction and facilities lead in discussions for development projects across the business.
- Managing the facilities management budget (planned and reactive), specifically in terms of preparation and its delivery for UK equity stores as well as UK support centre.
- Managing and monitoring the external contractor base to deliver optimum facilities management services to the support centre via regular contractor review meetings.
- Negotiate with external vendors to secure advantageous terms and implement Key Performance Indicators and SLA’s
- Ensuring the support centre is legally compliant with HSE statutory requirements.
- Plan and execute sourcing strategies and sustainability initiatives
- Perform risk management for supply contracts and agreements
- Discover profitable suppliers and initiate business partnerships
|Key Contacts – Internal||Key Contacts – External|
- Store Development team (Design, Store development & Maintenance teams)
- UK LT
- Supply chain partners
- Support Centre functions (e.g. Operations, Finance, Marketing and Supply Chain)
- Partner & Asset Protection partners
- Health & Safety manager
- Support Centre Directors and VPs
- Partner Resources
- General Contractors
- Outsourced Construction management
- Planning consultants
- Local authorities
- Other Retail & Property Organisations
- Professional Bodies
- Contracting Supply Chain
- Outsourced FM functional leaders
- Outsourced FM contract Director
- Direct UK suppliers
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience of leadership skills, developing and managing in a team and one’s self to achieve results.
- Experience of administering complex construction contractual arrangements with positive outcomes.
- Strong project management skills that can evidence project, team and programme management skills through highly complex projects and programmes of work.
- Demonstrates an awareness and ability to work across boundaries to achieve results, influencing senior stakeholders to achieve desired results.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills at all levels internally and externally.
- Flexible approach to change, with a positive attitude to fluctuating workload and prepared to work individually or leading & managing a team.
- Works confidently at all levels throughout a business, actively acting as an ambassador for Property Services and Facilities Management at all levels.
- Skilled in negotiating, networking and bidding for large scale projects/services
- Extensive knowledge of FM contracts and management
- Extensive experience in facilities management for both hard and soft services
- Knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques as well as a dexterity in “reading” the market
- Budgeting and planning of multiple projects and managing budgets
- Construction management and technical requirements.
- Financial analysis in budgets /portfolio affordability and financial knowledge with strong commercial acumen.
- Understanding and knowledge of latest CDM regulations
- Business analysis skills, with the ability to see implications and provide consultative solutions and recommendations
- Knowledge of construction systems & processes
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop relationships across all levels, functions and cultures
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines, adapting quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to apply knowledge of multi-disciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Degree level in Engineering related discipline preferred or Construction/Building Surveying etc
- BIFM level 5 or above preferred
- HNC level in Electrical/Mechanical preferred
- Computer literacy - Microsoft Office Suite. Excel Intermediate Level
- Understanding of a retail and food environment
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the role and is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible responsibilities, tasks, and duties that may be required. Management reserves the right to amend the responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder as dictated by business requirements.
The Location:West of London. The Manager – Construction & Facilities will spend at least two days a week in the office and the remainder out.
The Salary & Supporting Benefits:Attractive base salary, Position allowance (£5,500),
Discretionary Bonus, Flexible Benefits (4%), Pension, Private Medical, 3 x Life Assurance, Store Discount, Stock Options etc.
The above are principal elements in an attractive and comprehensive package reflecting our client’s determination to appoint a first class candidate.
It is our policy to practice equal opportunities in recruitment and selection for all candidates.
We have a responsibility to avoid unlawful discrimination.